S2/Week 4: 20th - 24th February 2017
Focus this Week: :
- Raised Expectations in Semester 2
- Organising your Study Plan
- Career Development: Completing Application Forms correctly!
Academic Skills Workshop: Vist our website for more details on the latest workshops. Web.
Semester 2 Expectations:
Students tell us that Semester 2 tends to move faster, be more demanding and academically challenging but is less disorientating than Semester 1.
This is a good time to form a Study Group, as you will know which colleagues you might be able to work well with and which subjects lend themselves well to a group effort. The benefit of working in groups (3 – 4 people) include:
- You will be able to gauge your level of academic understanding through the various group contributions
- There will be areas which you may find more difficult to understand and you will have the opportunity to explore these further in a non-threatening environment
- You can break up your sessions into ‘themes’ or ‘readings’, hence dividing up the workload, yet getting the benefit of the combined effort.
Organising your Study Plan:
You do need to organise yourself quickly and put your study plan in place at this point – ensuring that you don’t end up with an unsurmountable workload towards the end of Semester. Here are some tips to help you plan the next 8 weeks:
- Make sure that you have a full overview of the assessment and examination deadlines to hand. If you don’t have this, ask the Chairperson of your programme for this overview, to help you plan your schedule. Plot the due dates on a simple calendar and put it on the wall near your study desk.
- Use your days wisely and schedule in study time / time to clean up your notes, in between classes.
- Make a promise to yourself to go to every single lecture – there is no substitute for being there yourself, don’t rely on other people’s notes.
It's amazing how simply things can become so troublesome! Learn how to complete job application forms correctly and effectivelySee the Careers website for more details - Web