The 2017 President’s Awards for Engagement were presented today (Thursday, April 13th) at the Helix by DCU Deputy President Professor Daire Keogh to recipients from the worlds of engineering, physics, humanities, social sciences and community engagement.
The 2017 award winners were:
• Veronica Crosbie, University of Sanctuary outreach programme (President's Award for Engagement - Staff Category €1000)
• Eilish Mc Loughlin, Leadership in Public Engagement and Education in Science (Special Merit Award- Staff Category €500)
• DCU Media Production Society - 24 hour broadcast (President's Award for Engagement - Student Category €1000)
• Helen Concannon, Chief Commissioner Girl Guides (Special Merit Award- Student Category €500)
• Brian Corcoran et al Siemen's Greenpower Challenge (Special Award for Enterprise Engagement €500)
DCU President Professor Brian MacCraith said,
“For Dublin City University, engagement with the wider society is a key plank of our philosophy. It promotes many of our own key values such as equality, inclusion and sustainability. The entries, and particularly the winners of the 2017 President’s Awards for Engagement, are a fine testimony to that mission.”
DCU Students’ Union Vice –President for Engagement and Development, Eimear Maguire, added that “Students engage with society in many different ways. During their time at the university they engage with a wide range of social, cultural, international and personal interest issues. They are a key driver of DCU’s engagement mission”.
Special invited guest speaker, Deirdre Mortell, CEO of Social Innovation Fund Ireland delivered an enlightening speech on civic engagement and social innovation. Speaking at the event she commented that “it is fantastic to see DCU lead the way in student and staff community engagement. The winning projects are impressive and inspiring and I wish them the very best of impact too.”
Head of Civic Engagement at DCU, Professor Ronnie Munck highlighted the increased level of entrants to the awards scheme and attendance at the events.
“DCU’s engagement activity is second to none and it contributes greatly to the civic health of the university. The sheer diversity and level of engagement shown by all entrants is truly inspiring.”
For further details see: https://www.dcu.ie/community/presidents-awards-for-engagement-2017.shtml