The School of English, Dublin City University
Doctoral Research Scholarships
The new School of English DCU is a dynamic research-focused school with expertise in a variety of literary eras and genres including Poetry, Children's Literature, Irish Studies, American writing, post-colonial literature, nineteenth century writing, the Novel, Drama, and Creative Writing. This is an exciting time for us as we build upon our strengths and traditions in a newly expanded School. As part of our commitment to excellence in postgraduate research the School of English is pleased to offer a scholarship for a full-time PhD student commencing September 2016. The successful candidate will be paid a stipend of €16,000 per annum for up to four years, subject to satisfactory annual progression. Registration fees will also be paid. There will also be a number of scholarships for fees available.
Applicants must have a relevant undergraduate degree at first-class honours level or at least 2.1 level. It is desirable that they should hold a relevant Master’s qualification. Candidates who are currently completing a Master’s qualification are welcome to apply.
The School of English is interested in receiving research proposals in the following areas:
- American Poetry
- Book History
- Children’s Literature generally or directed at the St Patrick’s Campus Library archives including Patricia Lynch Collection, Padraic Colum Collection, Cathal Ó Sándair Collection, Bartlett Puffin Collection.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Literature
- Experimental Literature History of Reading
- Irish Film, Novel, Short Story, Poetry, Theatre, Drama, Women Writers
- Literary Theory
- Literature and Politics
- Literature and Sexuality
- Literature and Sport
- Literature and the Visual Arts
- Popular Literature
- Post-colonial Literature
See Graduate Studies Office on application process: http://www4.dcu.ie/graduatestudies/how_to_apply.shtml
Interested candidates must first agree a research proposal with a School of English staff member. Candidates will be directed to potential supervisors on application.
Email applications to Dr Derek Hand, Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating School of English PhD scholarships in the subject line. Applications should include the following:
- A CV including names and contact details of two academic referees.
- A copy of undergraduate and postgraduate degree certificates.
- Copies of transcripts from undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- A letter outlining the candidate’s suitability for the scholarship.
- A research proposal c3000 words accompanied by a bibliography (which is not included in the word count).
Other useful resources: DCU Graduate Studies Office: http://dcu.ie/graduatestudies/index.shtml
Closing date for applications: May 12th 2016